At Epicurean Group, environmental responsibility is more than just a policy, it is one of our core values. We believe in sourcing and preparing food in an environmentally responsible manner.
What we return to the earth is as important as what we cultivate from it, Epicurean Group believes in a safe and environmentally responsible recycling program. We will work closely to become an invaluable partner with Lawrence Berkeley while providing healthy and delicious food.
Epicurean is one of the leaders in food service sustainability in the Bay Area. We do not just write and talk about sustainability, we practice it:
- Green Business Certification since 2009. Epicurean is the only local food service provider to be certified as a Bay Area Green Business. We do not need to initiate a one year plan; we are already certified as a Bay Area Green Business.
- Green Town. Epicurean Group is on the board of Green Town Los Altos, using our relationship with vendors to create a Co-Op to allow businesses in Los Altos, Cupertino, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto , Marin and beyond to purchase 100% compostable paper products at affordable prices. We also negotiated directly with waste management firms for the city of Los Altos’ currently waste services. We worked to develop a city-wide composting program with composting bins in residential homes right next to recycling and ever shrinking garbage bins.
Below is our sustainability pledge of sustainable practices we strictly follow in the Bay View Cafe.
At Epicurean, We Pledge to Uphold the Following Sustainable Practices
- Food is purchased locally, organic when possible
- Menus are developed according to the seasonal, natural foods available at that time
- Chicken is purchased antibiotic-free
- Tuna is purchased dolphin-free
- Seafood is purchased according to the “Seafood Watch Guidelines”
- Hamburger is made with FRESH Ground Angus beef – not FROZEN meat
- Fruits and vegetables are always purchased fresh and natural and whenever possible ORGANIC, not frozen
- Stocks are made from SCRATCH – never out of a can
- Milk is free of antibiotics and artificial growth hormone
- MSG is never used in food preparation
- All dressings are prepared from SCRATCH
- Turkey and beef are roasted IN-HOUSE for deli meat
- Only canola and olive oil are used for cooking
- Mashed potatoes are prepared from REAL potatoes
- Receiving of all FRESH products are checked for FRESHNESS, CERTIFIED ORGANIC, and WHOLESOMENESS
- Local growers and artisan partners are chosen for their high quality standards, environmental responsibility and their locations– within 100 miles of our cafés.
- Implementing GREEN PRACTICES…changing one environment at a time